Steam

Oct. 8th, 2026 06:02 pm
psocoptera: ink drawing of celtic knot (Default)
[personal profile] psocoptera
Steam, 2026 graphic novel, written by Shaenon K. Garrity and illustrated by Emily Holden. Cute, sweet, wacky romance between an escaped genetic experiment and a barista. I thought it was fun and should appeal to people who like Garrity's Willowweep Manor writing. (Also perhaps CB Lee's Coffeeshop in an Alternate Universe, or Flip or Song For You & I, but a little more screwball/a little less heft.) But I'm not sure I think it has the power to make it to the Hugo ballot, like I definitely read it and thought "oh yes we're all going to enjoy reading this", but are we going to think "everyone must read this"?

ETA: This book is set at Smithson but I can't remember the character designs from the Smithson comic well enough to tell whether there are any cameos in the background characters. I didn't spot any but if someone else has please tell me!

Date: 2026-10-13 12:23 pm (UTC)
glassonion: (Default)
From: [personal profile] glassonion
Yeah, i don't know; let's see what else we find. The people do like fluff and this is high-quality fluff (funny and well-written), and i continue to believe (without evidence?) that Garrity has name recognition in the Hugo sphere.

Profile

psocoptera: ink drawing of celtic knot (Default)
psocoptera

October 2026

S M T W T F S
    123
45 67 8910
1112 13141516 17
181920 21222324
25262728293031

Most Popular Tags

Page Summary

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Oct. 22nd, 2026 11:35 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios