Obstetrix

Sep. 15th, 2026 09:28 pm
psocoptera: ink drawing of celtic knot (Default)
[personal profile] psocoptera
Obstetrix, Naomi Kritzer, 2026 novella. Not really speculative - if I had to categorize it I guess I would call it a medical thriller, although mostly I think of those as more like Michael Crichton or Robin Cook which actually often did have more of a speculative element, at least the ones I've read - but since Kritzer is generally a sff author and it was published by Tordotcom it probably caucuses with sff? Anyways, it's really good, extremely intense, I read it in a single afternoon/evening, as close to a single sitting as I could manage, and (major spoiler) burst into hysterical relieved tears at the climax. It would make a nice movie with a good juicy starring role for a middle-aged actress (Ashley Judd? Laura Dern? Carrie-Anne Moss? they'd basically be carrying the movie, whoever it was), although if they did make a movie I can think of at least three ways they'd probably ruin it, so... perhaps not.

Profile

psocoptera: ink drawing of celtic knot (Default)
psocoptera

September 2026

S M T W T F S
   1 2 345
67 89101112
1314 1516171819
202122 23242526
27282930   

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 28th, 2026 03:07 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios